When you get up in the morning, you must have a song - Ray Charles

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pharaoh Sanders - Live At The East

I had actually forgotten how much I enjoy this record, until I was reminded recently that I owed someone a copy.
Around the time this was recorded, Sanders could easily venture off into free form territory or he could hold the course with more spiritual sounding stuff that was no less interesting. I love the way this gently slides between both.

Sanders assembled an odd and definitely smoking line up for this outing. From what I have read, this was not actually recorded at the East, but the audience was brought to the studio albeit still for a live recording

Most certainly this is a copy I got from someone's fine blog at one time, because my vinyl is not this clean and the second track is split on the lp. So I debt of gratitude is owed to whoever was kind enough to put an immaculate copy out there.

Pharaoh Sanders
Live At The East

1. Healing Song
2. Lumkili Pts 1 & 2
3. Memories of J. W. Coltrane

Pharaoh Sanders - tenor
Marvin Hannibal Peterson - trumpet
Carlos Garnett - flute
Harold Vick - tenor
Joe Bonner - piano
Cecil McBee, Stanley Clarke - bass
Billy Hart, Norman Connors - drums
Lawrence Killian - percussion


Prestige AS 9227


recorded NYC 1971



4 comments:

mr phil said...

A tasty one. Thanks, Mr. Finger.

jahknee said...

I can't wait to listen to this-I never new it existed! What a line-up! What a blog!

Eanie Simms said...

Actually Impulse Records, not Prestige.

Hookfinger said...

Absolutely! But fortunately nobody pays any attention to this thing and obvious screw ups can go unnoticed...mostly!